Plymouth was on the way up from 1955, with dramatic new Virgil Exner styling and a lively V8 engine. The Fury two-door coupé was one of its most stylish models. The third iteration of the 1957 "Forward Look" was squarely targeting a younger buyer in the advertising themes for the year, and also touting the many luxury features available on one of America's lowest priced automobiles.
A realignment of series designations furthered catered to image-conscious shoppers. The entry-level Plaza model was dropped, causing each successive series to be bumped down a notch in status. The Savoy took the place of price leader, with the Belvedere moving to the mid-level Plymouth, and bringing with it the Convertible model. However, it should be noted that even Plymouth sales brochures concede the Belvedere was "identical with Plymouth's top-of-the-line classic of previous years!" and therefore it is compared to Belvederes of the prior year herein. Replacing the Belvedere as the top-level line was an expanded Fury series. Adding two 4-Door models to the line, it was now Plymouth's "luxury" car. While Suburban station wagons were still considered a separate line of their own, they were trimmed in line with the sedan counterparts: Savoy and Deluxe Suburban, Belvedere and Custom Suburban, Fury and Sport Suburban. To replace the sporting Fury was an aptly named Sport Fury consisting of a 2-Door Hardtop and new Convertible model.
The Golden Commando 395 V8 engine was the new high-performance Plymouth powerplant. It was rated at 305 horsepower at 4600 rpm, with the "395" in its name referring to its torque output of 395 lb.-ft. at only 3000 rpm. All other V8 engines received slight increases in power as could be expected. The long-running Powerflow Six was in its final season before being replaced by the equally durable, dependable and long-lasting Slant Six for 1960. Exterior styling changes included a new egg-crate style grille, with a stylized "Forward Look" center emblem. The front fenders featured a custom "channeled" look, following the contours of the headlights. Parking lights were moved to a location between headlights and the bumper, sized to fit within the grille pattern, and wrapped around the corner so that they were visible from the front and sides. The Plymouth name was written out in script on the driver's side of both the hood and the deck lid. Both front and rear bumpers were of a more conventional design, with all but the Sport Fury's front bumper abandoning the upturned ends used on 1958 models.
The view from the back looked totally new, although in fact it was a clever restyle. The back end of the tailfins was closed in and capped with a vertical chrome piece, while taillights and backup lights were combined into a single oblong unit under the tailfin and centered between the wraparound bodyside trim and the rear bumper. Suburbans used a similar but smaller housing for the taillights, with the backup lights mounted on the rear bumper. Bodyside trim on Savoy models consisted of a single strip beginning just aft of the front wheel opening, running straight back and around the back of the car. The Belvedere series added a lower trim piece spaced just inches below the upper molding, beginning about 6 inches from the start of the top molding.
The Fury line extended the trim forward with the upper piece beginning at the front edge of the fender, and the lower piece connecting in immediately as the front wheel opening turned down. Sport Furys used two stainless trim pieces that began at the front fender edge, with the lower piece following the line of the upper trim of other models, and the upper piece paralleling the tailfin. All series carried designations in script at the top end of the tailfin, except the Sport Fury, which carried a newly designed round ornament with the new Plymouth logo. The Fury name was located between the stainless trim pieces, and both the script and ornament logo were in gold anodized trim.
Standard on the Sport Fury, and optionally available for a mere $28 on any other Plymouth (except Suburbans), was the "Sport Deck." Basically amounting to the trim ring and hubcap as found on the "Continental" style spare tire carriers that were so popular through the late fifties, it was mounted on the center of the rear deck. This feature was also widely used on Imperials of the period.
Interiors were also restyled, with the instrument cluster being most obvious. Styled in a V-shape design, it consisted of a horizontal speedometer with fuel and temperature gauges in separate pods below. On the left side of the "V" was a vertical pod with pushbutton selectors for cars equipped with automatic transmission, and on the right were pushbutton heater and air conditioner controls. Optional radio tuners were centered in the dash, with electric clocks mounted in front of the passenger seat.